Friday, December 14, 2012

Twisted humor

Ok, those who know me, know that I have a bit of a twisted sense of humor. Growing up, my dad entertained us with endless corny jokes, which helped keep us laughing but also, colored my sense of humor.

Later, when I went back to college to finish my degree, I was introduced to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series during an English lecture. I had heard of it but hadn't seen any since I wasn't terribly impressed with the movie. I'm so glad I decided to give the series a shot. The sarcastic, twisted take on horror and science fiction is definitely my cup of tea. Joss Whedon definitely has a knack for this. Buffy, Firefly, and Angel(especially when James Marsters returned as Spike). Firefly is a great alternate take on the space cowboy idea with actually combining space and westerns. Nathan Fillion is perfect as Captain Mal Reynolds.

Last year, I discovered a few new favorites. A preview for Torchwood: Children of Earth peaked my interest which led me to watch the whole series. (Definitely more "adult" content that Doctor Who) Torchwood, in turn, led me to Doctor Who. I love this show. I've only watched the current series not the ones from the 60's through the 80's. Each new Doctor takes some getting used to but they're all so fun in their own way.

On the horror front, Supernatural is an awesome show. I miss the Bobby character (Jim Beaver) but I like that their including more Cas (Misha Collins).

Haven plays with sci-fi influenced by Stephen King's own twist humor. Don't think of humor when you think of Stephen King? How about in Under the Dome when King tells part of the story from the groundhog's perspective just before it gets sliced in half by the dome?

I have to include Warehouse 13 in the mix. It's not particularly twisted but still fun to watch.

If you, like me, have a twisted sense of humor and watch too much tv, I would suggest you give these shows a shot. And, if you know of any movies, tv shows or books that are similar, let me know. I'm always looking for a good time waster.

No comments: