Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What's in a name?

I just looked at the top 100 names from Parent Center for 2005 and I was surprised to see that Michelle didn't even make it into the top 100. When I was a kid there was always at least one other Michelle in my grade or even in my class. Because of this when it came time to name our kids I (usually) tried to pick Islamic names that were not incredibly common. But wouldn't ya know, it didn't exactly turn out the way I planned. Our third child is named Zahra and our best friends decided to name their third child Zahra as well. (Their's is about a year younger than our's.) Then a few other kids named Zahra started going to the masjid we attended and now one of my students is named Zahra. All told we know at least 5 other kids named Zahra. Oh, well. I tried.

No comments: