Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Design Wall Monday..err Tuesday




I know, I know. It's supposed to be Design Wall Monday but my Mondays have become really busy lately so I rarely have time to post on Monday.

Although I haven't been posting lately, I haven't been idle.

Since my last post I've finished two scarves for the Special Olympics, a scarf for dh, finished a baby quilt (months late, but hey, better late than never) and have finished 2 tops for comfort quilts. Oh yeah, I also started crocheting a blanket. I love the Homespun "Waterfall". Lovely colors and great feel.


The blocks for the comfort quilts were made by a lot of different people with very different abilities and styles. Some of the blocks were nothing more than a simple message while others were beautifully done. This humming bird is incredible as are the other painted bird blocks.(6 in all between the two quilts)


The comfort quilts are taking far longer than they should and keeping me from doing quilts I want to work on. I have to quilt one of them today and take it to the woman who coordinated this project so that she can bind it and I'll try to get the other one quilted tomorrow but first I have to fix the backing.


I decided to do a pieced backing on this quilt and knew it would be tight in the width but, unfortunately, it's a tiny bit to narrow. (Like an inch.) So, I've got to add some to one of the sides before I can sandwich this quilt.

This is my favorite block from the batik quilt.

When I saw the blocks by themselves I really wasn't sure how well these quilts would turn out but I think they look alright. I prefer the batik one more than the purple, which is funny since it has a lot more orange in it and I'm usually not much of an orange fan. The sashing and filler blocks really made all the difference, most of which came from the stash of the organizer.

Well, if I'm going to get the purple one quilted today, I've got to get moving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE what you did with different blocks

both of these quilts are beautiful

Kate said...

Monday's are just plain hard to get things posted. If I don't write mine Sunday night, then it's late Monday before I can get mine done. Then if I do get it posted, I don't have a chance to look at eveyone else's, hence my browsing on a Wednesday!

Beautiful quilts, all 3 of them.